(a) A person commits an offense if the person knowingly:
(1) causes another by force, threat, coercion, or fraud to commit prostitution; or
(2) causes by any means a child younger than 18 years to commit prostitution, regardless of whether the actor knows the age of the child at the time of the offense.
(b) An offense under this section is a felony of the first degree.
(c) If conduct constituting an offense under this section also constitutes an offense under another section of this code, the actor may be prosecuted under either section or under both sections.
(d) For purposes of this section, “coercion” as defined by Section 1.07 includes:
(1) destroying, concealing, confiscating, or withholding from a person, or threatening to destroy, conceal, confiscate, or withhold from a person, the person's actual or purported:
(A) government records; or
(B) identifying information or documents;
(2) causing a person, without the person's consent, to become intoxicated, as defined by Section 49.01 , to a degree that impairs the person's ability to appraise the nature of the person's conduct that constitutes prostitution or to resist engaging in that conduct; or
(3) withholding alcohol or a controlled substance to a degree that impairs the ability of a person with a chemical dependency, as defined by Section 462.001, Health and Safety Code , to appraise the nature of the person's conduct that constitutes prostitution or to resist engaging in that conduct.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Texas Penal Code - PENAL § 43.05. Compelling Prostitution - last updated April 14, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code/penal-sect-43-05.html
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.