Texas Occupations Code - OCC § 1701.351. Continuing Education Required for Peace Officers

(a) Each peace officer shall complete at least 40 hours of continuing education programs once every 24 months.  The commission may suspend the license of a peace officer who fails to comply with this requirement.

(a-1) As part of the continuing education programs under Subsection (a), a peace officer must complete a training and education program that covers recent changes to the laws of this state and of the United States pertaining to peace officers.

(b) The commission by rule shall provide for waiver of the requirements of this section when mitigating circumstances exist.

(c) The commission shall credit a peace officer with meeting the continuing education requirements of this section if during the relevant 24-month period the peace officer serves on active duty as a member of the United States military for at least 12 months or serves as an elected member of the legislature.  Credit for continuing education under this subsection does not affect any requirement to demonstrate continuing weapons proficiency under Section 1701.355 .

(d) A peace officer who is second in command to a police chief of a law enforcement agency and who attends a continuing education program for command staff provided by the Bill Blackwood Law Enforcement Management Institute of Texas under Section 96.641, Education Code , is exempt from the continuing education requirements of this subchapter.

Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Texas Occupations Code - OCC § 1701.351. Continuing Education Required for Peace Officers - last updated April 14, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/occupations-code/occ-sect-1701-351.html

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard