This subchapter applies to any insurer authorized to engage in business as an insurance company or to provide insurance in this state, including:
(1) a stock life, health, or accident insurance company;
(2) a mutual life, health, or accident insurance company;
(3) a stock fire or casualty insurance company;
(4) a mutual fire or casualty insurance company;
(5) a Mexican casualty insurance company;
(6) a Lloyd's plan;
(7) a reciprocal or interinsurance exchange;
(8) a fraternal benefit society;
(9) a stipulated premium company;
(10) a nonprofit legal services corporation;
(11) a statewide mutual assessment company;
(12) a local mutual aid association;
(13) a local mutual burial association;
(14) an association exempt under Section 887.102 ;
(15) a nonprofit hospital, medical, or dental service corporation, including a corporation subject to Chapter 842;
(16) a county mutual insurance company;
(17) a farm mutual insurance company;
(18) a risk retention group;
(19) a purchasing group;
(20) an eligible surplus lines insurer; and
(21) except as provided by Section 542.053(b) , a guaranty association operating under Chapter 462 or 463.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.