Texas Health and Safety Code § 61.044. Subrogation

(a) The filing of an application for or receipt of services constitutes an assignment of the applicant's or recipient's right of recovery from:

(1) personal insurance;

(2) other sources;  or

(3) another person for personal injury caused by the other person's negligence or wrong.

(b) A person who applies for or receives services shall inform the county, at the time of application or at any time during eligibility, of any unsettled tort claim that may affect medical needs and of any private accident or sickness insurance coverage that is or may become available.  An applicant or eligible resident shall inform the county of any injury that is caused by the act or failure to act of some other person.  An applicant or eligible resident shall inform the county as required by this subsection within 10 days of the date the person learns of the person's insurance coverage, tort claim, or potential cause of action.

(c) A claim for damages for personal injury does not constitute grounds for denying or discontinuing services under this chapter.

(d) A separate and distinct cause of action in favor of the county is hereby created, and the county may, without written consent, take direct civil action in any court of competent jurisdiction.  A suit brought under this section need not be ancillary to or dependent on any other action.

(e) The county's right of recovery is limited to the amount of the cost of services paid by the county.  Other subrogation rights granted under this section are limited to the cost of the services provided.

(f) An applicant or eligible resident who knowingly and intentionally fails to disclose the information required by Subsection (b) commits a Class C misdemeanor.

(g) An applicant or eligible resident is subject to denial of services under this chapter following an administrative hearing.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.