(a) A physician who performs an abortion at an abortion facility must complete and submit a monthly report to the department on each abortion performed by the physician at the abortion facility. The report must be submitted on a form provided by the department.
(b) The report may not identify by any means the patient.
(c) The report must include:
(1) whether the abortion facility at which the abortion is performed is licensed under this chapter;
(2) the patient's year of birth, race, marital status, and state and county of residence;
(3) the type of abortion procedure;
(4) the date the abortion was performed;
(5) whether the patient survived the abortion, and if the patient did not survive, the cause of death;
(6) the probable post-fertilization age of the unborn child based on the best medical judgment of the attending physician at the time of the procedure;
(7) the date, if known, of the patient's last menstrual cycle;
(8) the number of previous live births of the patient; and
(9) the number of previous induced abortions of the patient.
(d) Except as provided by Section 245.023 , all information and records held by the department under this chapter are confidential and are not open records for the purposes of Chapter 552, Government Code. That information may not be released or made public on subpoena or otherwise, except that release may be made:
(1) for statistical purposes, but only if a person, patient, physician performing an abortion, or abortion facility is not identified;
(2) with the consent of each person, patient, physician, and abortion facility identified in the information released;
(3) to medical personnel, appropriate state agencies, or county and district courts to enforce this chapter; or
(4) to appropriate state licensing boards to enforce state licensing laws.
(e) A person commits an offense if the person violates Subsection (b), (c), or (d). An offense under this subsection is a Class A misdemeanor.
(f) Not later than the 15th day of each month, a physician shall submit to the department the report required by this section for each abortion performed by the physician at an abortion facility in the preceding calendar month.
(g) The department shall establish and maintain a secure electronic reporting system for the submission of the reports required by this section. The department shall adopt procedures to enforce this section and to ensure that only physicians who perform one or more abortions during the preceding calendar month are required to file the reports under this section for that month.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.