Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) In this section, “student record” means:
(1) information that constitutes education records as that term is defined by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g(a)(4)); or
(2) information in a record of an applicant for admission to an educational institution, including a transfer applicant.
(b) Information is confidential and excepted from the requirements of Section 552.021 if it is information in a student record at an educational institution funded wholly or partly by state revenue. This subsection does not prohibit the disclosure or provision of information included in an education record if the disclosure or provision is authorized by 20 U.S.C. Section 1232g or other federal law.
(c) A record covered by Subsection (b) shall be made available on the request of:
(1) educational institution personnel;
(2) the student involved or the student's parent, legal guardian, or spouse; or
(3) a person conducting a child abuse investigation required by Subchapter D, Chapter 261, Family Code. 1
(d) Except as provided by Subsection (e), an educational institution may redact information covered under Subsection (b) from information disclosed under Section 552.021 without requesting a decision from the attorney general.
(e) If an applicant for admission to an educational institution described by Subsection (b) or a parent or legal guardian of a minor applicant to an educational institution described by Subsection (b) requests information in the record of the applicant, the educational institution shall disclose any information that:
(1) is related to the applicant's application for admission; and
(2) was provided to the educational institution by the applicant.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Texas Government Code - GOV'T § 552.114. Exception: Confidentiality of Student Records - last updated April 14, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/government-code/gov-t-sect-552-114.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.