Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) This section applies only to a person who:
(1) is convicted of a misdemeanor other than a misdemeanor under Section 106.041, Alcoholic Beverage Code, Section 49.04, 49.05, 49.06, or 49.065, Penal Code, or Chapter 71, Penal Code; and
(2) is not eligible for an order of nondisclosure of criminal history record information under Section 411.073.
(b) Notwithstanding any other provision of this subchapter or Subchapter F, a person described by Subsection (a) who completes the person's sentence, including any term of confinement imposed and payment of all fines, costs, and restitution imposed, may petition the court that imposed the sentence for an order of nondisclosure of criminal history record information under this section if the person:
(1) satisfies the requirements of this section and Section 411.074; and
(2) has never been previously convicted of or placed on deferred adjudication community supervision for another offense other than a traffic offense that is punishable by fine only.
(c) Except as provided by Subsection (c-1), after notice to the state, an opportunity for a hearing, and a determination that the person is entitled to file the petition and issuance of the order is in the best interest of justice, the court shall issue an order prohibiting criminal justice agencies from disclosing to the public criminal history record information related to the offense for which the person was convicted.
(c-1) A court may not issue an order of nondisclosure of criminal history record information under this section if the court determines that the offense for which the order is sought, other than an offense under Section 22.01, Penal Code, was violent or sexual in nature.
(d) A person may petition the court that imposed the sentence for an order of nondisclosure of criminal history record information under this section only on or after:
(1) the date of completion of the person's sentence, if the offense of which the person was convicted was a misdemeanor punishable by fine only; or
(2) the second anniversary of the date of completion of the person's sentence, if the offense of which the person was convicted was a misdemeanor other than a misdemeanor described by Subdivision (1).
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Texas Government Code - GOV'T § 411.0735. Procedure for Conviction; Certain Misdemeanors - last updated April 14, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/government-code/gov-t-sect-411-0735.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.