(a) A post-adjudication secure correctional facility for juvenile offenders may be operated only by:
(1) a governmental unit in this state as defined by Section 101.001, Civil Practice and Remedies Code ; or
(2) a private entity under a contract with a governmental unit in this state.
(b) In each county, each judge of the juvenile court and a majority of the members of the juvenile board shall personally inspect all public or private juvenile post-adjudication secure correctional facilities that are not operated by the Texas Juvenile Justice Department and that are located in the county at least annually and shall certify in writing to the authorities responsible for operating and giving financial support to the facilities and to the department that the facility or facilities are suitable or unsuitable for the confinement of children. In determining whether a facility is suitable or unsuitable for the confinement of children, the juvenile court judges and juvenile board members shall consider:
(1) current monitoring and inspection reports and any noncompliance citation reports issued by the department, including the report provided under Subsection (c), and the status of any required corrective actions; and
(2) the other factors described under Sections 51.12(c)(2)-(7) .
(c) The Texas Juvenile Justice Department shall annually inspect each public or private juvenile post-adjudication secure correctional facility that is not operated by the department. The department shall provide a report to each juvenile court judge presiding in the same county as an inspected facility indicating whether the facility is suitable or unsuitable for the confinement of children in accordance with minimum professional standards for the confinement of children in post-adjudication secure confinement promulgated by the department or, at the election of the juvenile board of the county in which the facility is located, the current standards promulgated by the American Correctional Association.
(d) A governmental unit or private entity that operates or contracts for the operation of a juvenile post-adjudication secure correctional facility in this state under Subsection (a), except for a facility operated by or under contract with the Texas Juvenile Justice Department, shall:
(1) register the facility annually with the department; and
(2) adhere to all applicable minimum standards for the facility.
(e) The Texas Juvenile Justice Department may deny, suspend, or revoke the registration of any facility required to register under Subsection (d) if the facility fails to:
(1) adhere to all applicable minimum standards for the facility; or
(2) timely correct any notice of noncompliance with minimum standards.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.