Texas Family Code - FAM § 51.115. Attendance at Hearing:  Parent or Other Guardian

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) Each parent of a child, each managing and possessory conservator of a child, each court-appointed custodian of a child, and a guardian of the person of the child shall attend each hearing affecting the child held under:

(1)  Section 54.02 (waiver of jurisdiction and discretionary transfer to criminal court);

(2)  Section 54.03 (adjudication hearing);

(3)  Section 54.04 (disposition hearing);

(4)  Section 54.05 (hearing to modify disposition);  and

(5)  Section 54.11 (release or transfer hearing).

(b) Subsection (a) does not apply to:

(1) a person for whom, for good cause shown, the court waives attendance;

(2) a person who is not a resident of this state;  or

(3) a parent of a child for whom a managing conservator has been appointed and the parent is not a conservator of the child.

(c) A person required under this section to attend a hearing is entitled to reasonable written or oral notice that includes a statement of the place, date, and time of the hearing and that the attendance of the person is required.  The notice may be included with or attached to any other notice required by this chapter to be given the person.  Separate notice is not required for a disposition hearing that convenes on the adjournment of an adjudication hearing.  If a person required under this section fails to attend a hearing, the juvenile court may proceed with the hearing.

(d) A person who is required by Subsection (a) to attend a hearing, who receives the notice of the hearing, and who fails to attend the hearing may be punished by the court for contempt by a fine of not less than $100 and not more than $1,000.  In addition to or in lieu of contempt, the court may order the person to receive counseling or to attend an educational course on the duties and responsibilities of parents and skills and techniques in raising children.

Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Texas Family Code - FAM § 51.115. Attendance at Hearing:  Parent or Other Guardian - last updated April 14, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/family-code/fam-sect-51-115.html

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard