Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) A petition to change the name of an adult must be verified and include:
(1) the present name and place of residence of the petitioner;
(2) the full name requested for the petitioner;
(3) the reason the change in name is requested;
(4) whether the petitioner has been the subject of a final felony conviction;
(5) whether the petitioner is subject to the registration requirements of Chapter 62, Code of Criminal Procedure; and
(6) a legible and complete set of the petitioner's fingerprints on a fingerprint card format acceptable to the Department of Public Safety and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
(b) The petition must include each of the following or a reasonable explanation why the required information is not included:
(1) the petitioner's:
(A) full name;
(D) date of birth;
(E) driver's license number for any driver's license issued in the 10 years preceding the date of the petition;
(F) social security number; and
(G) assigned FBI number, state identification number, if known, or any other reference number in a criminal history record system that identifies the petitioner;
(2) any offense above the grade of Class C misdemeanor for which the petitioner has been charged; and
(3) the case number and the court if a warrant was issued or a charging instrument was filed or presented for an offense listed in Subsection (b)(2).
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Texas Family Code - FAM § 45.102. Requirements of Petition - last updated April 14, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/family-code/fam-sect-45-102.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.