Texas Family Code - FAM § 262.105. Filing Petition After Taking Possession of Child in Emergency

(a) When a child is taken into possession without a court order, the person taking the child into possession, without unnecessary delay, shall:

(1) file a suit affecting the parent-child relationship;

(2) request the court to appoint an attorney ad litem for the child;  and

(3) request an initial hearing to be held by no later than the first business day after the date the child is taken into possession.

(b) An original suit filed by a governmental entity after taking possession of a child under Section 262.104 must be supported by an affidavit stating facts sufficient to satisfy a person of ordinary prudence and caution that:

(1) based on the affiant's personal knowledge or on information furnished by another person corroborated by the affiant's personal knowledge, one of the following circumstances existed at the time the child was taken into possession:

(A) there was an immediate danger to the physical health or safety of the child;

(B) the child was the victim of sexual abuse or of trafficking under Section 20A.02 or 20A.03, Penal Code ;

(C) the parent or person who had possession of the child was using a controlled substance as defined by Chapter 481, Health and Safety Code, and the use constituted an immediate danger to the physical health or safety of the child;  or

(D) the parent or person who had possession of the child permitted the child to remain on premises used for the manufacture of methamphetamine;  and

(2) based on the affiant's personal knowledge:

(A) continuation of the child in the home would have been contrary to the child's welfare;

(B) there was no time, consistent with the physical health or safety of the child, for a full adversary hearing under Subchapter C;  1  and

(C) reasonable efforts, consistent with the circumstances and providing for the safety of the child, were made to prevent or eliminate the need for the removal of the child.

1  V.T.C.A., Family Code § 262.201 et seq.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard