“Alternatives to guardianship” includes the:
(1) execution of a medical power of attorney under Chapter 166, Health and Safety Code;
(2) appointment of an attorney in fact or agent under a durable power of attorney as provided by Subtitle P, Title 2;
(3) execution of a declaration for mental health treatment under Chapter 137, Civil Practice and Remedies Code;
(4) appointment of a representative payee to manage public benefits;
(5) establishment of a joint bank account;
(6) creation of a management trust under Chapter 1301;
(7) creation of a special needs trust;
(8) designation of a guardian before the need arises under Subchapter E, Chapter 1104; and
(9) establishment of alternate forms of decision-making based on person-centered planning.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.