(a) In this section:
(1) “License” means a certificate or similar form of permission issued or renewed by a licensing agency and required by law to engage in a profession or occupation.
(2) “Licensee” means a person to whom a licensing agency issues a license.
(3) “Licensing agency” means a board, commission, department, or other agency in the executive branch of state government that issues or renews a license.
(b) The corporation shall identify the licensing agencies subject to this section and provide written notice to those agencies of the requirements prescribed by this section. Only those licensing agencies that the corporation identifies and that receive such notice are required to carry out this section.
(c) Annually, each licensing agency shall prepare a list of the agency's licensees and submit the list to the corporation in hard copy or electronic form. Using the submitted lists, the corporation periodically shall:
(1) identify the persons who are in default on loans guaranteed by the corporation; and
(2) provide a list of the names of those persons to the appropriate licensing agencies in hard copy or electronic form.
(d) A person who is in default on a loan may enter an agreement with the corporation for repayment of a defaulted loan as required under this section. The corporation shall provide the person with a certificate certifying that the person has entered a repayment agreement on the defaulted loan.
(e) A licensing agency shall not renew the license of a licensee whose name is on the list provided by the corporation under Subsection (c) unless the licensee presents to the agency a certificate issued by the corporation certifying that:
(1) the licensee has entered a repayment agreement on the defaulted loan; or
(2) the licensee is not in default on a loan guaranteed by the corporation.
(f) Repealed by Acts 2005, 79th Leg., ch. 221, § 13(3).
(g) A licensing agency shall not renew the license of a licensee who defaults on a repayment agreement unless the person presents to the agency a certificate issued by the corporation certifying that:
(1) the licensee has entered another repayment agreement on the defaulted loan; or
(2) the licensee is not in default on a loan guaranteed by the corporation or on a repayment agreement.
(h) A licensing agency shall provide written notice of the nonrenewal policies established under Subsections (e) and (g) to each applicant for a license or for renewal of a license. The corporation shall provide written notice of those same policies on each loan application form provided by the corporation and on each promissory note signed by a borrower. Failure to provide the notice required by this subsection does not affect the default status of a borrower or the prohibitions on renewal of a license held by a person in default.
(i) A licensing agency shall provide an opportunity for a hearing to a licensee before the agency takes action concerning the nonrenewal of a license under this section.
(j) Each licensing agency shall adopt any rules necessary to carry out the licensing agency's duties under this section.
(k) The board shall establish procedures to carry out the corporation's duties under this section.
(l) This section does not apply to the State Securities Board.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.