(a) Article 42A.053 does not apply to a defendant adjudged guilty of an offense under:
(1) Section 15.03, Penal Code , if the offense is punishable as a felony of the first degree;
(2) Section 19.02, Penal Code (Murder);
(3) Section 19.03, Penal Code (Capital Murder);
(4) Section 20.04, Penal Code (Aggravated Kidnapping);
(5) Section 20A.02, Penal Code (Trafficking of Persons);
(6) Section 20A.03, Penal Code (Continuous Trafficking of Persons);
(8) Section 22.011, Penal Code (Sexual Assault);
(9) Section 22.021, Penal Code (Aggravated Sexual Assault);
(10) Section 22.04(a)(1), Penal Code (Injury to a Child, Elderly Individual, or Disabled Individual), if:
(A) the offense is punishable as a felony of the first degree; and
(B) the victim of the offense is a child;
(11) Section 29.03, Penal Code (Aggravated Robbery);
(12) Section 30.02, Penal Code (Burglary), if:
(A) the offense is punishable under Subsection (d) of that section; and
(13) Section 43.04, Penal Code (Aggravated Promotion of Prostitution);
(14) Section 43.05, Penal Code (Compelling Prostitution);
(15) Section 43.25, Penal Code (Sexual Performance by a Child); or
(16) Chapter 481, Health and Safety Code, for which punishment is increased under:
(A) Section 481.140 of that code (Use of Child in Commission of Offense); or
(B) Section 481.134(c), (d), (e), or (f) of that code (Drug-free Zones) if it is shown that the defendant has been previously convicted of an offense for which punishment was increased under any of those subsections.
(b) Article 42A.053 does not apply to a defendant when it is shown that:
(1) a deadly weapon as defined by Section 1.07, Penal Code , was used or exhibited during the:
(A) commission of a felony offense; or
(B) immediate flight from the commission of a felony offense; and
(2) the defendant:
(A) used or exhibited the deadly weapon; or
(B) was a party to the offense and knew that a deadly weapon would be used or exhibited.
(c) On an affirmative finding regarding the use or exhibition of a deadly weapon as described by Subsection (b), the trial court shall enter the finding in the judgment of the court.
(d) On an affirmative finding that the deadly weapon under Subsection (c) was a firearm, the court shall enter that finding in its judgment.
(e) Notwithstanding Subsection (a), with respect to an offense committed by a defendant under Section 43.04 or 43.05, Penal Code , a judge may place the defendant on community supervision as permitted by Article 42A.053 if the judge makes a finding that the defendant committed the offense solely as a victim of an offense under Section 20A.02 , 20A.03 , 43.03 , 43.04 , or 43.05, Penal Code .
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.