Skip to main content

Texas Civil Statutes (Titles 78 to 111) - CIV STAT Art. § 6228. Mothers' Aid

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

Any widow who is the mother of a child or children under sixteen years of age, and who is unable to support them and maintain her home, may present to the Commissioners' Court of the county wherein she has resided for the preceding two years a sworn petition for aid showing:

First:--Her name, time and place of her marriage, date of the death of her husband, or date of his confinement in the penitentiary or in an insane asylum, or date of his abandonment of her;  names, sex, and the dates and places of their birth.

Second:--Her length or residence in the State, her present residence, and her residence during each of the previous five years.

Third:--All the property belonging to her and to each of her children, including any future or contingent interest she or any of them may have.

Fourth:--The efforts made by her to support her children.

Fifth:--The name, relationship, and address of each of her husband's relatives that may be known.

By “widow”, as used herein, means a mother who is widowed by death or divorce, or whose husband has abandoned her for more than the two preceding years, or whose husband is confined in the penitentiary or in a State Hospital for the insane.

A copy of said petition and a notice of the time and place it will be presented to said Court shall be served on or mailed to the County Judge of said county at least five days before the time the court shall be requested in said petition to hear the same.  When service is complete said Court shall examine under oath those who desire to be heard, and may subpoena witnesses;  or the Court may refer said matter to a Commissioner to be appointed by it to hear said witnesses.  Such Commissioner shall make a report to the Court stating the facts as proven before him.  If the Court concludes that unless relief is granted the widow will be unable to properly support and educate her children, and that they may become a public charge, it may make an order directing a monthly payment to her, out of the County Funds, for the support of such children, not more than Fifteen ($15.00) Dollars for one child, and Six ($6.00) Dollars additional for each other child.  Such allowance shall be discontinued as to any such child who reaches the age of sixteen.  The Court shall have the right to refuse any such petition, and its action in so doing shall be final.  The Court shall see that any widow receiving such aid is properly caring for her children.  When it is found that she is not properly caring for her children, or that she is an improper guardian for them, or when the Court finds that she no longer needs such aid, it shall thereupon revoke at any time with or without notice any order made pursuant to this Article.

Cite this article: - Texas Civil Statutes (Titles 78 to 111) - CIV STAT Art. § 6228. Mothers' Aid - last updated April 14, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard