Skip to main content

Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code - CIV PRAC & REM § 64.072. Limited Duration

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) Except as provided by this section, a court may not administer a corporation in receivership for more than three years after the date the receiver is appointed, and the court shall wind up the affairs of the corporation within that period.

(b) A court may, from time to time, extend the duration of a corporate receivership if:

(1) litigation prevents the court from winding up the affairs of the corporation within three years;  or

(2) the receiver is operating the corporation as a going concern.

(c) To extend the duration of a corporate receivership, the court must have received an application for the extension and, following notice to all attorneys of record, must conduct a hearing on the extension.  As required by the best interests of all concerned parties, the court may prescribe conditions for the extension and extend it for a term within the limits provided by Subsection (d).  The court shall enter into its minutes the proper order extending the receivership.

(d) A court may not extend a corporate receivership for more than five years beyond the original three years, except that the court may extend for any additional period the receivership of a corporation organized under former Article 3.05(A)(2), Texas Miscellaneous Corporation Laws Act (Article 1302-3.05, Vernon's Texas Civil Statutes), Section 2.006, Business Organizations Code, before September 1, 2009, or a railroad corporation organized under the Business Organizations Code or former Title 112, Revised Statutes.

Cite this article: - Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code - CIV PRAC & REM § 64.072. Limited Duration - last updated April 14, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard