(a) A minor commits an offense if he consumes an alcoholic beverage.
(b) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the alcoholic beverage was consumed in the visible presence of the minor's adult parent, guardian, or spouse.
(c) An offense under this section is punishable as provided by Section 106.071 .
(d) A minor who commits an offense under this section and who has been previously convicted twice or more of offenses under this section is not eligible for deferred disposition. For the purposes of this subsection:
(1) an adjudication under Title 3, Family Code, 1 that the minor engaged in conduct described by this section is considered a conviction of an offense under this section; and
(2) an order of deferred disposition for an offense alleged under this section is considered a conviction of an offense under this section.
(e) Subsection (a) does not apply to a minor who:
(1) requested emergency medical assistance in response to the possible alcohol overdose of the minor or another person;
(2) was the first person to make a request for medical assistance under Subdivision (1); and
(3) if the minor requested emergency medical assistance for the possible alcohol overdose of another person:
(A) remained on the scene until the medical assistance arrived; and
(B) cooperated with medical assistance and law enforcement personnel.
(f) Except as provided by Subsection (g), Subsection (a) does not apply to a minor who reports the sexual assault of the minor or another person, or is the victim of a sexual assault reported by another person, to:
(1) a health care provider treating the victim of the sexual assault;
(2) an employee of a law enforcement agency, including an employee of a campus police department of an institution of higher education; or
(3) the Title IX coordinator of an institution of higher education or another employee of the institution responsible for responding to reports of sexual assault.
(g) A minor is entitled to raise the defense provided by Subsection (f) in the prosecution of an offense under this section only if the minor is in violation of this section at the time of the commission of a sexual assault that is:
(1) reported by the minor under Subsection (f); or
(2) committed against the minor and reported by another person under Subsection (f).
(h) A minor who commits a sexual assault that is reported under Subsection (f) is not entitled to raise the defense provided by Subsection (f) in the prosecution of the minor for an offense under this section.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.