Skip to main content

Tennessee Code Title 66. Property § 66-28-403

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) The tenant shall not unreasonably withhold consent to the landlord to enter onto the premises, including entering into the dwelling unit, in order to inspect the premises, make necessary or agreed repairs, decorations, alterations, or improvements, supply necessary or agreed services, or exhibit the premises to prospective or actual purchasers, mortgagees, workers or contractors.

(b) The landlord may enter the premises without consent of the tenant in case of emergency.  “Emergency” means a sudden, generally unexpected occurrence or set of circumstances demanding immediate action.

(c) Where no known emergency exists, if any utilities have been turned off due to no fault of the landlord, the landlord shall be permitted to enter the premises.  The landlord may inspect the premises to ascertain any damages to the premises and make necessary repairs of damages resulting from the lack of utilities.

(d) The landlord shall not abuse the right of access or use it to harass the tenant.

(e) The landlord has no right of access to the premises except:

(1) By court order;

(2) As permitted by this section, § 66-28-506 and § 66-28-507(b) ;

(3) If the tenant has abandoned or surrendered the premises;

(4) If the tenant is deceased, incapacitated or incarcerated;  or

(5) Within the final thirty (30) days of the termination of the rental agreement for the purpose of showing the premises to prospective tenants;  provided, that such right of access is set forth in the rental agreement and notice is given to the tenant at least twenty-four (24) hours prior to entry.

Cite this article: - Tennessee Code Title 66. Property § 66-28-403 - last updated January 01, 2020 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard