Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
As used in this part, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) “Custodian” means the educational record practitioner and the administrator or other chief officer of an educational institution in this state and its proprietor, as well as their deputies and assistants, and any other persons who are official custodians or depositories of records;
(2) “Educational institution” means a public, private or parochial school providing education to students in the twelfth grade or below or a public or private postsecondary institution providing education to students at a level above the twelfth grade;
(3) “Eligible student” means a student who has reached eighteen (18) years of age or is attending a postsecondary institution;
(4) “Parent” means a parent of a student and includes a natural parent, a guardian, or an individual acting as a parent in the absence of a parent or a guardian; and
(5) “Student record” means an educational record that is directly related to a student and is maintained by an educational institution or by a party acting for the institution.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Tennessee Code Title 49. Education § 49-50-1502 - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/tn/title-49-education/tn-code-sect-49-50-1502.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?