Skip to main content

Tennessee Code Title 48. Corporations and Associations § 48-24-108

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) When a corporation has distributed all its assets to its creditors and shareholders and voluntary dissolution proceedings have not been revoked, it shall deliver to the secretary of state for filing articles of termination of corporate existence.  The articles shall set forth:

(1) The name of the corporation;

(2) That all the assets of the corporation have been distributed to its creditors and shareholders;  and

(3) That the dissolution of the corporation has not been revoked.

(b) If the secretary of state finds that the articles of termination of corporate existence comply with the requirements of subsection (a) and are accompanied by a tax clearance for termination or withdrawal relative to such corporation, then the secretary of state shall file the articles of termination of corporate existence.  Upon such filing, the existence of the corporation shall cease, except that the termination of corporate existence shall not take away or impair any remedy to or against the corporation, its directors, officers or shareholders, for any right or claim existing or any liability incurred, prior to such termination.  Any such action or proceeding by or against the corporation may be prosecuted or defended by the corporation in its corporate name.  The shareholders, directors, and officers have the power to take such corporate or other action as may be appropriate to protect such remedy, right, or claim.

Cite this article: - Tennessee Code Title 48. Corporations and Associations § 48-24-108 - last updated January 01, 2020 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard