Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) It is an offense for any person to utilize any ADAD equipment to intentionally:
(1) Dial telephone numbers with area codes within the state; and
(2) Conceal or misrepresent the telephone number utilized by the ADAD equipment on the call recipient's telephone or other equipment that is technically capable of displaying the number by:
(A) Displaying a telephone number other than the telephone number utilized by the ADAD equipment;
(B) Not displaying the telephone number utilized by the ADAD equipment; or
(C) Displaying an “unknown number” message or similar message instead of the telephone number utilized by the ADAD equipment.
(b) A violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor punishable only by a fine not to exceed two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500) for each violation. For purposes of criminal liability, a court shall deem each call made in violation of this section as a separate offense.
(c) It shall not be a violation of this section to display a phone number, different from the phone number being utilized by the ADAD equipment, on behalf of a person if:
(1) The phone number displayed on behalf of the person has a Tennessee area code or is a toll-free number;
(2) The phone number displayed on behalf of the person is answered during regular business hours by a designated representative of such person; and
(3) The person's name is displayed along with the phone number described in subdivisions (c)(1) and (2).
(d) The offenses described in this section shall not apply to a telecommunications, broadband, or voice-over-Internet services provider acting solely as an intermediary for a transmission of telephone service between a caller and a recipient.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Tennessee Code Title 47. Commercial Instruments and Transactions § 47-18-1511 - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/tn/title-47-commercial-instruments-and-transactions/tn-code-sect-47-18-1511.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?