(a) For purposes of this section, “school” means any:
(1) Elementary school, middle school or high school;
(2) College of applied technology or postsecondary vocational or technical school; or
(3) Two-year or four-year college or university.
(b) A person commits the offense of communicating a threat concerning a school employee if:
(1) The person communicates to another a threat to cause the death of or serious bodily injury to a school employee and the threat is directly related to the employee's scope of employment;
(2) The threat involves the use of a firearm or other deadly weapon;
(3) The person to whom the threat is made reasonably believes that the person making the threat intends to carry out the threat; and
(4) The person making the threat intentionally engages in conduct that constitutes a substantial step in the commission of the threatened act and the threatened act and the substantial step when taken together:
(A) Are corroborative of the person's intent to commit the threatened act; and
(B) Occur close enough in time to evidence an intent and ability to commit the threatened act.
(c) Communicating a death threat concerning a school employee is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of thirty (30) days.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Tennessee Code Title 39. Criminal Offenses § 39-13-114 - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/tn/title-39-criminal-offenses/tn-code-sect-39-13-114.html
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.