Tennessee Code Title 38. Prevention and Detection of Crime § 38-6-114
Search Tennessee Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) The Tennessee bureau of investigation shall, by January 1, 2016:
(1) Implement a course or courses of instruction, composed of live instruction, telecommunication, video or other medium, or any combination of methods, for the training of law enforcement officers and other government officials who are directly involved with human trafficking, including the investigation of and the intake of human trafficking complaints; and
(2) Develop recommended best practice uniform protocols and procedures for law enforcement response to human trafficking.
(b)(1) The course or courses of instruction and the guidelines shall emphasize:
(A) The dynamics and manifestations of human trafficking;
(B) Identifying and communicating with victims;
(C) Providing documentation that satisfies the peace officers standards and training (POST) commission requirements;
(D) Collaboration with federal law enforcement officials;
(E) Appropriate investigative techniques for the particular victim or victim type;
(F) The availability of civil and immigration remedies and community resources; and
(G) Protection of the victim.
(2) Where appropriate, the trainers shall include presentations by human trafficking experts with experience in the delivery of direct services to victims of human trafficking.
(3) Completion of the course may be satisfied by telecommunication, video recording, or other instruction presentation method where an instructor on site is not required.
(c)(1) A law enforcement officer who is assigned field or investigative duties shall complete a minimum of two (2) hours of training in a course or courses of instruction pertaining to the handling of human trafficking complaints as described in subsection (b).
(2) An officer must complete the training hours required by subdivision (c)(1) by July 1, 2017, or within six (6) months from the officer's date of employment as a full-time law enforcement officer, whichever is later.
(d)(1) The Tennessee bureau of investigation shall employ four (4) additional persons qualified to serve as special agents whose duties it will be to provide training pursuant to this section, investigate, and develop criminal cases involving human trafficking offenses throughout the state.
(2) Once the additional special agents are employed, they shall be assigned so that all regions of the state are equally represented.
(e)(1) In addition to the course of instruction provided to law enforcement officers pursuant to subsection (a), the Tennessee bureau of investigation shall develop and deliver a course of instruction designed for various agencies and departments likely to come into contact with human trafficking and human trafficking victims during the course of delivering services. Departments, agencies, or associations included in this course of instruction are:
(A) Council of juvenile and family court judges;
(B) Department of children's services;
(C) Department of education;
(D) Department of health;
(E) Department of human services;
(F) Department of mental health and substance abuse services;
(G) Department of safety;
(H) Department of labor and workforce development;
(I) District attorneys general conference;
(J) District public defenders conference;
(K) Office of the attorney general and reporter;
(L) Tennessee association of chiefs of police;
(M) Tennessee economic council on women; and
(N) Tennessee sheriffs' association.
(2) In developing the course of instruction pursuant to this subsection (e), the Tennessee bureau of investigation shall consult with the human trafficking task force or individual members of the task force.
(f) Furnishing personnel and appropriations for the training course is the sole responsibility of the Tennessee bureau of investigation. Departments, agencies, or associations included under subsection (e) shall be provided the training at no cost to the department, agency, or association.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Tennessee Code Title 38. Prevention and Detection of Crime § 38-6-114 - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/tn/title-38-prevention-and-detection-of-crime/tn-code-sect-38-6-114.html
Was this helpful?