Skip to main content

Tennessee Code Title 32. Wills § 32-11-104

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a)?Any competent adult person may execute a declaration directing the withholding or withdrawal of medical care to the person, to become effective on loss of competency. ?The declaration must be in writing and signed by the principal. ?The declaration is valid if the principal's signature is either attested by a notary public with no witnesses or witnessed by two (2) witnesses without attestation by a notary public. ?A witness is a competent adult, who is not the agent, and at least one (1) of whom is not related to the principal by blood, marriage, or adoption and would not be entitled to any portion of the estate of the principal upon the death of the principal under any will or codicil made by the principal existing at the time of execution of the declaration or by operation of law then existing. ?The declaration shall contain an attestation clause that attests to the witnesses' compliance with the requirements of this subsection (a). ?The declaration shall be substantially in the form established in ??32-11-105. ?It is the intent of the general assembly that this subsection (a) have retroactive application.

(b)?It is the responsibility of the declarant or someone acting on the declarant's behalf to deliver a copy of the living will or declaration to the attending physician and/or other concerned health care provider. ?An attending physician who is so notified shall make the declaration, or a copy of it, part of the declarant's medical record.

Cite this article: - Tennessee Code Title 32. Wills § 32-11-104 - last updated January 01, 2020 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard