As used in this chapter, unless the context clearly requires otherwise:
(1) “Affiant” means the person executing the affidavit provided for in § 30-4-103 ;
(2) “Court” means the court then exercising probate jurisdiction in the county in which the decedent had legal residence on the date of death;
(3) “Person” means an individual, partnership, firm, business trust, corporation or other legal entity, and includes both singular and plural and masculine and feminine, as appropriate;
(4) “Property” means personal property, or any interest in personal property, owned by the decedent on the date of death, other than personal property held as tenants by the entirety or jointly with right of survivorship or personal property payable to a beneficiary other than the decedent's estate; and
(5) “Small estate” means the estate of a decedent in which the value of the property does not exceed fifty thousand dollars ($50,000).
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.