Rhode Island General Laws Title 44. Taxation § 44-9-55. Discharge

If any lien created under §§ 44-9-47 -- 44-9-55 is discharged, then a certificate of discharge shall promptly be filed by the tax collector of the municipality which originally filed the notice of lien, or by the tax collector's successor, in the office of the secretary of state in the same manner as termination statements are filed under § 6A-9-513 .  The municipal officer who has filed the notice of lien shall file a notice of discharge of the lien in the manner provided in this section if:  (1) the taxes for which the lien has been filed are fully paid together with all interest due on the taxes;  or (2) a cash bond or surety company bond is furnished to the municipality conditioned upon the payment of the amount of the taxes together with interest due on the taxes, for which the notice of lien has been filed, within the effective period of the lien;  or (3) a final judgment is rendered in favor of the taxpayer or others claiming an interest in the property subject to the lien determining that the tax is not owed, or that the lien is not valid.  If the judgment determines that the tax is partially owed, then the officer who filed the notice of lien or his or her successor shall within ten (10) days of the rendition of the final judgment of the court file an amended tax lien for the actual amount of tax found to be due by the court, which amended lien shall be effective as to the revised amount of the lien as of the date of the filing of the original notice of tax lien, and the officer or his or her successor at the time of the filing of the amended tax lien shall also file a discharge of the original tax lien.

Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Rhode Island General Laws Title 44. Taxation § 44-9-55. Discharge - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ri/title-44-taxation/ri-gen-laws-sect-44-9-55.html

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard