For the purposes of this chapter:
(1) “Animal” means any wild animal or bird specified under the provisions of § 4-18-3 .
(2) “Approved quarantine facility” means a facility approved by the department for the quarantine confinement of imported animals.
(3) “Department” means the Rhode Island department of environmental management.
(4) “Euthanasia” means the human destruction of an animal accomplished by a method that involves instantaneous unconsciousness and immediate death or by a method that involves anesthesia, produced by an agent which causes painless loss of consciousness, and death during that loss of consciousness.
(5) “Housing facility” means any room, building, or area used to contain a primary enclosure or enclosures during the required period of quarantine.
(6) “Person” means any person, firm, association, organization, partnership, business trust, corporation, or company.
(7) “Primary enclosure” means any structure used to immediately restrict an animal or animals to a limited amount of space, such as a room, pen, run, cage, or compartment within the quarantine facility.
(8) “Primate” means a nonhuman member of the highest order of mammals, including prosimians, monkeys, and apes as specified in § 4-18-3 .
(9) “Standards” means the requirements with respect to the quarantine housing, handling, care, treatment, and transportation of imported animals.
(10) “Veterinarian” means a person authorized to practice veterinary medicine in Rhode Island.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.