Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
As used in this chapter:
(1) “Bidi cigarette” means any product that (i) contains tobacco that is wrapped in temburni or tender leaf, or that is wrapped in any other material identified by rules of the Department of Health that is similar in appearance or characteristics to the temburni or tender leaf, and (ii) does not contain a smoke filtering device.
(2) “Court” means any appropriate district court of the state of Rhode Island.
(3) “Dealer” is synonymous with the term “retail tobacco products dealer”.
(4) “Department of behavioral healthcare, developmental disabilities and hospitals” means the state of Rhode Island behavioral healthcare, developmental disabilities and hospitals department, its employees, agents or assigns.
(5) “Department of taxation” means the state of Rhode Island taxation division, its employees, agents, or assigns.
(6) “License” is synonymous with the term “retail tobacco products dealer license” or “electronic nicotine-delivery system license.”
(7) “License holder” is synonymous with the term “retail tobacco products dealer” or “electronic nicotine-delivery system license.”
(8) “Person” means any individual person, firm, association, or corporation licensed as a retail dealer to sell tobacco products within the state.
(9) “Retail tobacco products dealer” means the holder of a license to sell tobacco products at retail.
(10) “Retail tobacco products dealer license” means a license to sell tobacco products at retail as issued by the department of taxation.
(11) “Spitting tobacco” also means snuff, powdered tobacco, chewing tobacco, dipping tobacco, pouch tobacco, or smokeless tobacco.
(12) “Tobacco product(s)” means any product containing tobacco, including bidi cigarettes, as defined in subdivision (1) of this section, that can be used for, but whose use is not limited to, smoking, sniffing, chewing, or spitting of the product.
(13) “Underage individual” or “underage individuals” means any child under the age of eighteen (18) years of age.
(14) “Little cigars” means and includes any roll, made wholly or in part of tobacco, irrespective of size or shape, and irrespective of whether the tobacco is flavored, adulterated, or mixed with any other ingredient, where such roll has a wrapper or cover made of tobacco wrapped in leaf tobacco or any substance containing tobacco paper or any other material, except where such wrapper is wholly or in greater part made of tobacco and such roll weighs over three (3) pounds per thousand (1,000).
(15) “Electronic nicotine-delivery system” means an electronic device that may be used to simulate smoking in the delivery of nicotine or other substance to a person inhaling from the device, and includes, but is not limited to, an electronic cigarette, electronic cigar, electronic cigarillo, electronic pipe or electronic hookah and any related device and any cartridge or other component of such device.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Rhode Island General Laws Title 11. Criminal Offenses § 11-9-13.4. Definitions - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ri/title-11-criminal-offenses/ri-gen-laws-sect-11-9-13-4.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.