Pennsylvania Statutes Title 49 P.S. Mechanics' Liens § 1301. Right to lien;  amount;  subcontractor

(a) General Rule.  Except as provided under subsection (b), every improvement and the estate or title of the owner in the property shall be subject to a lien, to be perfected as herein provided, for the payment of all debts due by the owner to the contractor or by the contractor to any of his subcontractors for labor or materials furnished in the erection or construction, or the alteration or repair of the improvement, provided that the amount of the claim, other than amounts determined by apportionment under section 306(b) of this act, shall exceed five hundred dollars ($500).

(b) Subcontractor.  A subcontractor does not have the right to a lien with respect to an improvement to a residential property if:

(1) the owner or tenant paid the full contract price to the contractor;

(2) the property is or is intended to be used as the residence of the owner or subsequent to occupation by the owner, a tenant of the owner;  and

(3) the residential property is a single townhouse or a building that consists of one or two dwelling units used, intended or designed to be built, used, rented or leased for living purposes.  For the purposes of this paragraph, the term “townhouse” shall mean a single-family dwelling unit constructed in a group of three or more attached units in which each unit extends from foundation to roof with a yard or public way on at least two sides.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard