Pennsylvania Statutes Title 40 P.S. Insurance § 1303.307. Patient safety plans
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Pennsylvania Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) Development and compliance.--A medical facility shall develop, implement and comply with an internal patient safety plan that shall be established for the purpose of improving the health and safety of patients. The plan shall be developed in consultation with the licensees providing health care services in the medical facility.
(b) Requirements.--A patient safety plan shall:
(1) Designate a patient safety officer as set forth in section 309. 1
(2) Establish a patient safety committee as set forth in section 310. 2
(3) Establish a system for the health care workers of a medical facility to report serious events and incidents which shall be accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
(4) Prohibit any retaliatory action against a health care worker for reporting a serious event or incident in accordance with the act of December 12, 1986 (P.L. 1559, No. 169), known as the Whistleblower Law. 3
(5) Provide for written notification to patients in accordance with section 308(b). 4
(c) Approval.--Within 60 days from the effective date of this section, a medical facility shall submit its patient safety plan to the department for approval consistent with the requirements of this section. Unless the department approves or rejects the plan within 60 days of receipt, the plan shall be deemed approved.
(d) Employee notification.--Upon approval of the patient safety plan, a medical facility shall notify all health care workers of the medical facility of the patient safety plan. Compliance with the patient safety plan shall be required as a condition of employment or credentialing at the medical facility.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Pennsylvania Statutes Title 40 P.S. Insurance § 1303.307. Patient safety plans - last updated January 01, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/pa/title-40-ps-insurance/pa-st-sect-40-1303-307.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?