(a) General rule.--The following classes of boats are exempt from the registration requirements of this subchapter:
(1) Foreign boats temporarily using the waters of this Commonwealth.
(2) Boats, other than boats used for recreational purposes, which are clearly identified as being:
(i) owned by the United States; and
(ii) used solely for public service functions such as search and rescue.
(3) Lifeboats on ships.
(4) Boats, other than boats used for recreational purposes, possessing a valid marine document issued by the United States Coast Guard, or any Federal successor thereto, or by any foreign government.
(5) Boats not equipped with motors.
(b) Exemptions by regulation.--The commission may, by regulation, exempt any additional boat or class of boats from the registration provisions of this subchapter under such conditions as it may prescribe.
(c) Exemption from fees.--The following boats are required to register but are exempt from the owner titling and registration fees of section 5104 (relating to fees):
(1) Motorboats owned or operated by the Commonwealth.
(2) Motorboats owned by public service organizations approved by the commission and used exclusively for training, education, water safety and other public service functions.
(3) Motorboats owned by political subdivisions and quasi-public organizations, such as police departments, volunteer fire departments and river rescue units, and used exclusively in the performance of their work in enforcement, furthering safety and search and rescue on the water.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.