It is hereby determined and declared as a matter of legislative finding:
(1) That the Temple College of Philadelphia was created a corporation with perpetual existence under the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania under an act of the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania entitled “An act to provide for the incorporation and regulation of certain corporations,” 1 approved the twenty-ninth day of April, 1874, and its supplements, and its charter approved by the Court of Common Pleas No. 1 for the County of Philadelphia, of March Term, 1888, No. 346, on the twelfth day of May, 1888;
(2) That the original Charter of Incorporation was amended in the Court of Common Pleas No. 1, for the County of Philadelphia on the eighth day of April, 1891 and on the twelfth day of December, 1907;
(3) That the name of the Temple College of Philadelphia was changed to Temple University by amendment of the original Charter of Incorporation on the twelfth of December, 1907;
(4) That the original Charter of Incorporation was amended by merging and consolidating “The Samaritan Hospital” and “The Garretson Hospital” into and with Temple University on the twenty-first day of January, 1910, and merging the “Pennsylvania School of Horticulture for Women” with Temple University on the sixteenth day of June, 1958;
(5) That the Northwestern General Hospital of Philadelphia was merged into Temple University on the twenty-seventh of February, 1964, and the Northern Dispensary of Philadelphia was merged into Temple University on the twenty-ninth of July, 1964;
(6) That Temple University owns and maintains land, buildings, and other facilities which are used, together with land and buildings owned by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, for higher education, which land, buildings and other facilities are under the entire control and management of the board of trustees;
(7) That the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania recognizes Temple University as an integral part of a system of higher education in Pennsylvania, and that it is desirable and in the public interest to perpetuate and extend the relationship between the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and Temple University for the purpose of improving and strengthening higher education by designating Temple University as a State-related university;
Therefore, it is hereby declared to be the purpose of this act to extend Commonwealth opportunities for higher education by establishing Temple University as an instrumentality of the Commonwealth to serve as a State-related institution in the Commonwealth system of higher education.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.