Pennsylvania Statutes Title 20 Pa.C.S.A. Decedents, Estates and Fiduciaries § 6111.2. Effect of divorce or pending divorce on designation of beneficiaries
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Pennsylvania Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) Applicability.--This section is applicable if an individual:
(1) is domiciled in this Commonwealth;
(2) designates the individual's spouse as beneficiary of the individual's life insurance policy, annuity contract, pension or profit-sharing plan or other contractual arrangement providing for payments to the spouse; and
(i) at the time of the individual's death is divorced from the spouse; or
(b) General rule.--Any designation described in subsection (a)(2) in favor of the individual's spouse or former spouse that was revocable by the individual at the individual's death shall become ineffective for all purposes and shall be construed as if the spouse or former spouse had predeceased the individual, unless it appears the designation was intended to survive the divorce based on:
(1) the wording of the designation;
(2) a court order;
(3) a written contract between the individual and the spouse or former spouse; or
(4) a designation of a former spouse as a beneficiary after the divorce decree has been issued.
(1) Unless restrained by court order, no insurance company, pension or profit-sharing plan trustee or other obligor shall be liable for making payments to a spouse or former spouse which would have been proper in the absence of this section.
(2) Any spouse or former spouse to whom payment is made shall be answerable to anyone prejudiced by the payment.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Pennsylvania Statutes Title 20 Pa.C.S.A. Decedents, Estates and Fiduciaries § 6111.2. Effect of divorce or pending divorce on designation of beneficiaries - last updated January 01, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/pa/title-20-pacsa-decedents-estates-and-fiduciaries/pa-csa-sect-20-6111-2.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?