Skip to main content

Pennsylvania Statutes Title 20 Pa.C.S.A. Decedents, Estates and Fiduciaries § 5537. Reserve for funeral

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) In general.--The court may authorize the guardian to retain such assets as are deemed appropriate for the anticipated expense of the incapacitated person's funeral, including the cost of a burial lot or other resting place, which shall be exempt from all claims including claims of the Commonwealth.  The court with notice thereof to the institution or person having custody of the incapacitated person may also authorize the guardian or another person to set aside such assets in the form of a savings account in a financial institution which account shall not be subject to escheat during the lifetime of the incapacitated person.  Such assets may be disbursed by the guardian or person who set aside such assets or by the financial institution for such funeral expenses without further authorization or accounting.  Any part of such assets not so disbursed shall constitute a part of the deceased incapacitated person's estate.  Should the incapacitated person become capacitated or should such assets become excessive, the court, upon petition of any party in interest, may make such order as the circumstances shall require.

(b) Definition.--As used in this section, “financial institution” includes a bank, a bank and trust company, a trust company, a savings and loan association, a building and loan association, a savings bank, a private bank and a national bank.

Cite this article: - Pennsylvania Statutes Title 20 Pa.C.S.A. Decedents, Estates and Fiduciaries § 5537. Reserve for funeral - last updated January 01, 2019 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard