Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
The General Assembly finds and declares as follows:
(1) Although cardiopulmonary resuscitation has saved the lives of individuals about to experience sudden, unexpected death, present medical data indicates that cardiopulmonary resuscitation rarely leads to prolonged survival in individuals with terminal illnesses in whom death is expected.
(2) In many circumstances, the performance of cardiopulmonary resuscitation may inflict unwanted and unnecessary pain and suffering.
(3) Existing emergency medical services protocols may require emergency medical services personnel to proceed to cardiopulmonary resuscitation when an individual is found in a cardiac or respiratory arrest even if the individual has completed an advance health care directive indicating that the individual does not wish to receive cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
(4) The administration of cardiopulmonary resuscitation by emergency medical services personnel to an individual with an out-of-hospital do-not-resuscitate order offends the dignity of the individual and conflicts with standards of accepted medical practice.
(5) This subchapter provides clear direction to emergency medical services personnel and other health care providers in regard to the performance of cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Pennsylvania Statutes Title 20 Pa.C.S.A. Decedents, Estates and Fiduciaries § 5482. Legislative findings and intent - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/pa/title-20-pacsa-decedents-estates-and-fiduciaries/pa-csa-sect-20-5482.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?