Pennsylvania Statutes Title 13 Pa.C.S.A. Commercial Code § 8403. Demand that issuer not register transfer
Search Pennsylvania Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) General rule.--A person who is an appropriate person to make an indorsement or originate an instruction may demand that the issuer not register transfer of a security by communicating to the issuer a notification that identifies the registered owner and the issue of which the security is a part and provides an address for communications directed to the person making the demand. The demand is effective only if it is received by the issuer at a time and in a manner affording the issuer reasonable opportunity to act on it.
(b) Subsequent request to register transfer.--If a certificated security in registered form is presented to an issuer with a request to register transfer or an instruction is presented to an issuer with a request to register transfer of an uncertificated security after a demand that the issuer not register transfer has become effective, the issuer shall promptly communicate to the person who initiated the demand at the address provided in the demand and the person who presented the security for registration of transfer or initiated the instruction requesting registration of transfer a notification stating that:
(1) the certificated security has been presented for registration of transfer or the instruction for registration of transfer of the uncertificated security has been received;
(2) a demand that the issuer not register transfer had previously been received; and
(3) the issuer will withhold registration of transfer for a period of time stated in the notification in order to provide the person who initiated the demand an opportunity to obtain legal process or an indemnity bond.
(c) Period of time registration can be withheld under subsection (b)(3).--The period described in subsection (b)(3) may not exceed 30 days after the date of communication of the notification. A shorter period may be specified by the issuer if it is not manifestly unreasonable.
(d) Limitation on liability of issuer.--An issuer is not liable to a person who initiated a demand that the issuer not register transfer for any loss the person suffers as a result of registration of a transfer pursuant to an effective indorsement or instruction if the person who initiated the demand does not, within the time stated in the issuer's communication, either:
(1) obtain an appropriate restraining order, injunction or other process from a court of competent jurisdiction enjoining the issuer from registering the transfer; or
(2) file with the issuer an indemnity bond, sufficient in the issuer's judgment to protect the issuer and any transfer agent, registrar or other agent of the issuer involved from any loss it or they may suffer by refusing to register the transfer.
(e) Liability for registering transfer pursuant to ineffective indorsement or instruction.--This section does not relieve an issuer from liability for registering transfer pursuant to an indorsement or instruction that was not effective.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Pennsylvania Statutes Title 13 Pa.C.S.A. Commercial Code § 8403. Demand that issuer not register transfer - last updated January 01, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/pa/title-13-pacsa-commercial-code/pa-csa-sect-13-8403.html
Was this helpful?