Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) General rule.--In addition to all other purposes for which a city may exercise the power of eminent domain as authorized by this part or by other laws of this Commonwealth and subject to the duty to provide just compensation, a city may acquire property by eminent domain, including entering upon, appropriating, taking, using and occupying private lands and property for any of the following public purposes:
(1) The laying out, opening, widening, extending, vacating, grading or changing the grades or lines of streets.
(2) The construction of bridges and the piers, abutments and approaches for bridges.
(3) The construction of slopes, embankments and storm water sewers, including storm water drains.
(4) The erection and extension of waterworks, wharves and docks, public buildings, public works, filtration plants, sewage systems, sewage treatment works, waste disposal plants, including disposal of garbage, ashes and other refuse materials and transfer facilities, gas plants, electric power and light plants, firehouses, hospitals, public auditoriums, memorial buildings, public transportation facilities, comfort stations, homeless shelters, waiting stations, communications facilities, drinking fountains, libraries and other public buildings and public works.
(5) The establishing of recreation places.
(6) The changing of watercourses.
(7) The acquisition of lands, easements and property for use of the Pennsylvania National Guard in accordance with sections 144A13 (relating to eminent domain for National Guard purposes) and 144A14 (relating to land for armory purposes).
(b) Eminent domain proceedings.--Eminent domain proceedings shall be subject to and conform with the provisions of 26 Pa.C.S. (relating to eminent domain).
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Pennsylvania Statutes Title 11 Pa.C.S.A. Cities § 12801. Exercise of eminent domain - last updated January 01, 2019 | https://codes.findlaw.com/pa/title-11-pacsa-cities/pa-csa-sect-11-12801.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?