Pennsylvania Continuing Legal Education Board Regulations § 1. Definitions

“Accredited Continuing Legal Education Provider”.  A corporation or association accredited by the Board in accordance with the rules and these regulations.

“Active Lawyer”.  A member in good standing of the bar of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, who is not an active or senior member of the judiciary.  A lawyer who is active for any part of a year must comply with these regulations.

“Administrative Suspension”.  Any lawyer placed on administrative suspension by the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania.

“Approved Instructor”.  A faculty member in a CLE activity sponsored by an Accredited Continuing Legal Education Provider who possesses the necessary practical or academic skills to conduct the course effectively.  An approved instructor will normally be a lawyer or judge.

“Attendance Restriction”.  Attendance restriction exists where any one or more of the following occur:  the CLE activity is not open to all lawyers thought to be interested in the subject matter;  it is not held in a place open to the legal community at large;  it is not held in a place large enough to accommodate all such lawyers thought to be interested;  the charge is not reasonable;  or the activity is not advertised as required by the Board.

“Board”.  The Pennsylvania Continuing Legal Education Board.

“CLE”.  Continuing legal education to be provided under the rules and these regulations.

“Inactive Lawyer”.  Any lawyer who assumes voluntary inactive status with the Attorney Registration Office.

“In-house Activity”.  In-house activity is any educational activity offered by a lawyer's law firm or group of two (2) or more lawyers or law firms or a corporation or group of corporations or any combination thereof with whom a lawyer is affiliated and which has an attendance restriction on lawyers who are not affiliated with the law firm or corporation.

“Member of the Judiciary”.  An individual who has been admitted to the Pennsylvania Bar and who has been appointed or elected and is serving as a judicial official of any state or of the United States of America and whose position prohibits the individual from the practice of law within the territorial jurisdiction where the individual serves as a judge.  This term shall not include a lawyer who is permitted to and who voluntarily chooses to maintain active lawyer status in Pennsylvania so long as the judicial position does not prevent him or her from practicing law in Pennsylvania.

“Non-Resident Active Lawyer”.  A member in good standing of the bar of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, who is not an active or senior member of the judiciary and who has requested non-resident active status in accordance with Section 6(e) of these regulations.

“Provider”.  A corporation or association which has been accredited by the Board to provide continuing legal education under these regulations or a corporation or association which provides one (1) or more continuing legal education courses approved by the Board.

“Regulations”.  These regulations adopted by the Board as they may be amended from time to time.

“Rules”.  The Pennsylvania Rules for Continuing Legal Education as they may be amended from time to time.

“Undue Hardship”.  Undue hardship consists of a severe medical condition which in the judgment of the Board renders a lawyer incapable of complying with these regulations.

“Verified Statement”.  A document filed with the Board or the Supreme Court under these regulations containing statements of fact and a statement by the signatory that it is made subject to the penalties of 18 Pa.C.S.A. § 4904 (relating to unsworn falsification to authorities).

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.