Skip to main content

Oregon Revised Statutes Trade Regulations and Practices § 646A.162

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(1) The Director of the Department of Consumer and Business Services may, upon a reasonable belief that a violation of ORS 646A.154, 646A.156 or 646A.158 has occurred, make necessary public and private investigations within or without this state to determine whether any person has violated those provisions.

(2) In connection with any investigation conducted pursuant to subsection (1) of this section, a service contract seller or obligor, upon written request of the director, shall make available to the director its service contract records for inspection and copying. The records that must be made available in accordance with this section shall be only those records necessary to enable the director to reasonably determine compliance with ORS 646A.154, 646A.156 and 646A.158.

(3) For the purpose of an investigation or proceeding under subsection (1) of this section, the director may administer oaths and affirmations, subpoena witnesses, compel their attendance, take evidence and require the production of books, papers, correspondence, memoranda, agreements or other documents or records that are relevant or material to the inquiry. Each witness who appears before the director under a subpoena shall receive the fees and mileage provided for witnesses in ORS 44.415 (2).

(4) If a person fails to comply with a subpoena issued under subsection (3) of this section, or a party or witness refuses to testify on any matters, the judge of the circuit court for any county, on the application of the director, shall compel obedience by proceedings for contempt as in the case of disobedience of the requirements of a subpoena issued from such court or a refusal to testify therein.

(5) The director may, upon a reasonable belief that a person is or is about to be in violation of ORS 646A.154, 646A.156 or 646A.158, issue an order, directed to the person, to discontinue or desist from the violation or threatened violation. The copy of the order forwarded to the person involved shall set forth a statement of the specific charges and the fact that the person may request a hearing within 20 days of the date of mailing. Where a hearing is requested, the director shall set a date for the hearing to be held within 30 days after receipt of the request, and shall give the person involved written notice of the hearing date at least seven days prior thereto. The person requesting the hearing must establish to the satisfaction of the director that the order should not be complied with. The order shall become final 20 days after the date of mailing unless within the 20-day period the person to whom it is directed files with the director a written request for a hearing. To the extent applicable and not inconsistent with the foregoing, the provisions of ORS chapter 183 shall govern the hearing procedure and any judicial review thereof. Where the hearing has been requested, the director's order shall become final at such time as the right to further hearing or review has expired or been exhausted.

(6) A person who is found to have violated ORS 646A.154, 646A.156 or 646A.158 may be ordered to pay to the General Fund a civil penalty in an amount determined by the director of not more than:

(a) $2,000 for the first violation.

(b) $5,000 for the second violation.

(c) $10,000 for any subsequent violation.

(7) For purposes of this section, a violation consists of a single course of conduct which is determined by the director to be untrue or misleading.

Cite this article: - Oregon Revised Statutes Trade Regulations and Practices § 646A.162 - last updated January 01, 2018 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard