Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) Upon settlement of a claim, or recovery of judgment in an action, for damages for wrongful death, by the personal representative of a decedent under ORS 30.020, the amount of damages so accepted or recovered shall be distributed in the manner prescribed in this section.
(2) The personal representative shall make payment or reimbursement for costs, expenses and fees incurred in prosecution or enforcement of the claim, action or judgment.
(3) The personal representative shall make payment or reimbursement for reasonable charges necessarily incurred for doctors' services, hospital services, nursing services or other medical services, burial services and memorial services rendered for the decedent.
(4) If under ORS 30.040 or 30.050 or by agreement of the beneficiaries a portion of the damages so accepted or recovered is apportioned to a beneficiary as recovery for loss described in ORS 30.020 (2)(d), the personal representative shall distribute that portion to the beneficiary.
(5) The remainder of damages accepted or recovered shall be distributed to the beneficiaries in the proportions prescribed under the laws of intestate succession of the state of decedent's domicile, or as agreed by the beneficiaries, but no such damages shall be subject to payment of taxes or claims against the decedent's estate.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Oregon Revised Statutes Remedies and Special Actions and Proceedings § 30.030 - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/or/title-3-remedies-and-special-actions-and-proceedings/or-rev-st-sect-30-030.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.