Oregon Revised Statutes Property Rights and Transactions § 90.297
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Oregon Revised Statutes
Search by Keyword or Citation
(1) Except as provided in ORS 90.295 and in this section, a landlord may not charge a deposit or fee, however designated, to an applicant who has applied to a landlord to enter a rental agreement for a dwelling unit.
(2) A landlord may charge a deposit, however designated, to an applicant for the purpose of securing the execution of a rental agreement, after approving the applicant's application but prior to entering into a rental agreement. The landlord must give the applicant a written statement describing:
(a) The amount of rent and the fees the landlord will charge and the deposits the landlord will require; and
(b) The terms of the agreement to execute a rental agreement and the conditions for refunding or retaining the deposit.
(3) If a rental agreement is executed, the landlord shall either apply the deposit toward the moneys due the landlord under the rental agreement or refund it immediately to the tenant.
(4) If a rental agreement is not executed due to a failure by the applicant to comply with the agreement to execute, the landlord may retain the deposit.
(5) If a rental agreement is not executed due to a failure by the landlord to comply with the agreement to execute, within four days the landlord shall return the deposit to the applicant either by making the deposit available to the applicant at the landlord's customary place of business or by mailing the deposit by first class mail to the applicant.
(6) If a landlord fails to comply with this section, the applicant or tenant, as the case may be, may recover from the landlord the amount of any fee or deposit charged, plus $150.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Oregon Revised Statutes Property Rights and Transactions § 90.297 - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/or/title-10-property-rights-and-transactions/or-rev-st-sect-90-297.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?