Skip to main content

Ohio Revised Code Title LVII. Taxation § 5703.371

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

For purposes of sections 718.80 to 718.95 and Title LVII of the Revised Code, any foreign corporation, owning or using a part or all of its capital or property in this state, which is not authorized by the secretary of state to transact business in this state, shall be conclusively presumed to have designated the secretary of state as its agent for the service of process in any action against such corporation to recover taxes which the tax commissioner is by law required to administer.  Pursuant to such service, suit may be brought in Franklin county, or in any county in which such corporation owns or uses its capital or property.  Such service shall be made upon the secretary of state by leaving with the secretary of state, or with an assistant secretary of state, triplicate copies of such process, together with an affidavit of the tax commissioner, showing the last known address of such corporation.  Upon receipt of such process and affidavit the secretary of state shall forthwith give notice by certified mail to the corporation at the address specified in the affidavit and forward together therewith a copy of such process.  The secretary of state shall retain a copy of such process in the secretary of state's files, keep a record of any such process served upon the secretary of state, and record therein the time of such service and the secretary of state's action thereafter with respect thereto.

The provisions of this section do not affect any right to serve process upon a foreign corporation in any other manner permitted by law.

Cite this article: - Ohio Revised Code Title LVII. Taxation § 5703.371 - last updated January 01, 2020 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard