Skip to main content

Ohio Revised Code Title LIX. Veterans Military Affairs § 5905.17

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

The probate court may authorize the purchase of the entire fee simple title to real estate in this state in which the guardian has no interest, but only as a home for the ward, or to protect his interest, or, if he is not a minor, as a home for his dependent family.  Such purchase of real estate shall not be made except upon the entry of an order of the court after hearing upon verified petition.  A copy of the petition shall be furnished the proper office of the veterans' administration and notice of hearing thereon shall be given said office as provided in the case of hearing on a guardian's account.

Before authorizing such investment the court shall require written evidence of value, title, and the advisability of acquiring such real estate.  Title shall be taken in the ward's name.  This section does not limit the right of the guardian on behalf of his ward to bid and to become the purchaser of real estate at a sale thereof pursuant to decree of foreclosure of lien held by or for the ward, or at a trustee's sale, to protect the ward's right in the property so foreclosed or sold;  nor does it limit the right of the guardian, if it is necessary to protect the ward's interest and upon prior order of the court in which the guardianship is pending, to agree with cotenants of the ward for a partition in kind, or to purchase from cotenants the entire undivided interests held by them, or to bid and purchase such interests at a sale under a partition decree, or to compromise adverse claims of title to the ward's realty.

Cite this article: - Ohio Revised Code Title LIX. Veterans Military Affairs § 5905.17 - last updated January 01, 2020 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard