Skip to main content

Ohio Revised Code Title LIII. Real Property § 5301.63

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

For the purpose of ensuring adequate access of solar energy collection devices to sunlight, any person may grant a solar access easement.  Such easements shall be in writing and shall be subject to the same conveyance and recording requirements as other easements.

Any instrument that grants a solar access easement shall include:

(A) A description of the real property burdened and benefited by the solar access easement;

(B) A description of the limits in heights, locations, or both, of permissible development on the burdened land in terms of structures, vegetation, or both, for the purpose of providing solar access for the benefited land;

(C) Any terms or conditions under which the solar access easement is granted or may be terminated;

(D) A term stating that the solar access easement runs with the land, unless terminated in accordance with the terms of the easement regarding termination, or unless otherwise agreed by the parties;

(E) Any other provisions necessary or desirable to execute the instrument.

The owner of the benefited land may prevent any obstruction of the solar access described in the solar access easement by any equitable remedy, and may maintain any action at law for any damages caused by any such obstruction.

Nothing in this section shall affect the status of any recorded easement to protect or ensure adequate access of solar energy collection devices to sunlight conveyed prior to the effective date of this section.

Cite this article: - Ohio Revised Code Title LIII. Real Property § 5301.63 - last updated January 01, 2020 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard