Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) Any person employed as a bus driver who has on three occasions been the operator of a motor vehicle involved in an accident of a nature or type set forth in section five hundred nine-a of this article, where such accidents occurred within an eighteen-month period, shall be subject to reexamination, including a road test, as provided in this section; provided, however, that if such person is subject to a period of disqualification pursuant to section five hundred nine-c or five hundred nine-cc of this article, such reexamination shall occur not more than forty-five days prior to the completion of such period of disqualification; and provided, further, that accidents in which the driver was completely without fault shall not be included in determining whether such reexamination is required.
(2) The commissioner may require any person who meets the criteria set forth in subdivision one of this section to submit to such an examination as the commissioner shall deem appropriate. Every required road test shall be administered on an appropriate vehicle defined as a bus pursuant to section five hundred nine-a of this article.
(3) For purposes of this section, one such accident shall not be counted if the person successfully completes a motor vehicle accident prevention course approved by the commissioner.
(4) Upon the failure of the licensee to successfully complete a reexamination authorized by this section, the commissioner shall take such reasonable action as may be required. Such action may consist of imposing restrictions on the use of the license of such person, suspending such license for a definite or indefinite period, or revoking such license. The commissioner may revoke or suspend for an indefinite period the license of any person who after reasonable notice fails or refuses to submit to such reexamination. No person whose license has been suspended or revoked under this section shall be qualified to operate a bus until such person successfully completes a reexamination authorized by this section.
(5) Upon a driver's successful completion of a reexamination required by this section, the commissioner shall issue an eighteen-month probationary license to such driver and all of the provisions of section five hundred ten-b of this article shall apply.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - New York Consolidated Laws, Vehicle and Traffic Law - VAT § 509-bb. Reexamination of bus drivers - last updated January 01, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ny/vehicle-and-traffic-law/vat-sect-509-bb.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?