1. A fiduciary or a person interested in obtaining a determination as to the validity, construction or effect of any provision of a will may present to the court in which the will was probated a petition showing the interest of the petitioner, the names and post-office addresses of the other persons interested, the particular portion of the will concerning which petitioner requests the determination of the court and the necessity for construction. If the application be entertained process shall issue to all persons interested in the question to be presented to show cause why the determination should not be made. On the return of process the court shall take such proof and shall make such decree as justice requires.
2. If in any proceeding for the judicial settlement of an account of a fiduciary any question is presented by any party to the proceeding respecting the propriety of any debit or credit in the account, the determination of which involves the validity, construction or effect of any portion of the will which requires such construction the presentation of the question shall have the same effect as if the petition had expressly requested a construction of the particular portion of the will involved in such determination.
3. If a party in a proceeding for the probate of a will requests a determination of the validity, construction or effect of any provision contained in the will process shall issue to all persons interested in the determination who have not appeared in the proceeding and notice shall be given in such manner as directed by the court to all those persons who have so appeared therein. Upon the entry of a decree admitting the will to probate the court may determine the question of construction or in its discretion may admit the will to probate and reserve the question for future consideration and decree.
4. A decree in any proceeding authorized in this section or a decree settling an account of a fiduciary or a decree on probate which construes or interprets any portion of a will, unless reversed or modified on appeal, shall thereafter be binding and conclusive in all courts upon all parties to the proceeding and upon their successors in interest as to all questions of construction or interpretation of the will therein or thereby determined and of all rights and obligations of the parties involved in the construction, depending thereon, or resulting therefrom.
5. The provisions of section three hundred fifteen shall apply to a proceeding under this section.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - New York Consolidated Laws, Surrogate's Court Procedure Act - SCP § 1420. Proceeding for construction of will; effect of decree - last updated January 01, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ny/surrogates-court-procedure-act/scp-sect-1420.html
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.