New York Consolidated Laws, Surrogate's Court Procedure Act - SCP § 1304. Summary procedure

1. When available.  No waiting period after the death of the decedent is required.

The procedure prescribed in this article may be used after the decedent's death.

2. Bond.  The voluntary administrator need not give a bond.

3. Affidavit.  A person may qualify as a voluntary administrator by making and filing with the clerk of the court of the decedent's domicile, or in the case of a non-domiciliary, of the county in which his personal property is located, an affidavit in the form provided by the Official Forms appended to this act, and also a certified copy of the death certificate of the decedent.

4. Record.  The clerk shall file the affidavit and assign it a number.   The clerk shall enter each such proceeding in the records and indexes of the court.  The clerk shall charge a fee of $1 for filing the affidavit.  No order of the court or other proceeding shall be necessary.  The clerk shall mail to each distributee who has not renounced his or her right to act and to each beneficiary mentioned in the affidavit other than the affiant, a letter or postcard notice of the proceeding under this article.  The giving of such notice is not jurisdictional.

5. Furnishing evidence of qualification and authority.  A short certificate of the court showing the filing by the voluntary administrator of the required affidavit, shall evidence his, her or its qualification and authority to act.  The clerk may indicate on the certificate that it is valid only for a transfer or transaction as specified thereon.  The voluntary administrator shall deliver a certificate to each debtor, transfer agent, safe deposit company, bank, trust company or other person holding or having custody, possession or control of any personal property of the decedent which the voluntary administrator seeks to reduce to possession or otherwise affect the title thereof.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard