New York Consolidated Laws, Real Property Actions and Proceedings Law - RPA § 753. Stay where tenant holds over in premises occupied for dwelling purposes in city of New York

1. In a proceeding to recover the possession of premises in the city of New York occupied for dwelling purposes, other than a room or rooms in an hotel, lodging house, or rooming house, upon the ground that the occupant is holding over and continuing in possession of the premises after the expiration of his term and without the permission of the landlord, or, in a case where a new lessee is entitled to possession, without the permission of the new lessee, the court, on application of the occupant, may stay the issuance of a warrant and also stay any execution to collect the costs of the proceeding for a period of not more than six months, if it appears that the premises are used for dwelling purposes;  that the application is made in good faith;  that the applicant cannot within the neighborhood secure suitable premises similar to those occupied by him and that he made due and reasonable efforts to secure such other premises, or that by reason of other facts it would occasion extreme hardship to him or his family if the stay were not granted.

2. Such stay shall be granted and continue effective only upon the condition that the person against whom the judgment is entered shall make a deposit in court of the entire amount, or such installments thereof from time to time as the court may direct, for the occupation of the premises for the period of the stay, at the rate for which he was liable as rent for the month immediately prior to the expiration of his term or tenancy, plus such additional amount, if any, as the court may determine to be the difference between such rent and the reasonable rent or value of the use and occupation of the premises;  such deposit shall also include all rent unpaid by the occupant prior to the period of the stay.  The amount of such deposit shall be determined by the court upon the application for the stay and such determination shall be final and conclusive in respect to the amount of such deposit, and the amount thereof shall be paid into court, in such manner and in such installments, if any, as the court may direct.  A separate account shall be kept of the amount to the credit of each proceeding, and all such payments shall be deposited in a bank or trust company and shall be subject to the check of the clerk of the court, if there be one, or otherwise of the court.  The clerk of the court, if there be one, and otherwise the court shall pay to the landlord or his duly authorized agent, the amount of such deposit in accordance with the terms of the stay or the further order of the court.

3. The provisions of this section shall not apply to a proceeding where the petitioner shows to the satisfaction of the court that he desires in good faith to recover the premises for the purpose of demolishing same with the intention of constructing a new building, plans for which new building shall have been duly filed and approved by the proper authority;  nor shall it apply to a proceeding to recover possession upon the ground that an occupant is holding over and is objectionable if the landlord shall establish to the satisfaction of the court that such occupant is objectionable.

4. In the event that such proceeding is based upon a claim that the tenant or lessee has breached a provision of the lease, the court shall grant a ten day stay of issuance of the warrant, during which time the respondent may correct such breach.

5. Any provision of a lease or other agreement whereby a lessee or tenant waives any provision of this section shall be deemed against public policy and void.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard