Skip to main content

New York Consolidated Laws, Real Property Actions and Proceedings Law - RPA § 721. Person who may maintain proceeding

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

The proceeding may be brought by:

1. The landlord or lessor.

2. The reversioner or remainderman next entitled to possession of the property upon the termination of the estate of a life tenant, where a tenant of such life tenant holds over.

3. The purchaser upon the execution or foreclosure sale, or the purchaser on a tax sale to whom a deed has been executed and delivered or any subsequent grantee, distributee or devisee claiming title through such purchaser.

4. The person forcibly put out or kept out.

5. The person with whom, as owner, the agreement was made, or the owner of the property occupied under an agreement to cultivate the property upon shares or for a share of the crops.

6. The person lawfully entitled to the possession of property intruded into or squatted upon.

7. The person entitled to possession of the property occupied by a licensee who may be dispossessed.

8. The person, corporation or law enforcement agency authorized by this article to proceed to remove persons using or occupying premises for illegal purposes.

9. The receiver of a landlord, purchaser or other person so entitled to apply, when authorized by the court.

10. The lessee of the premises, entitled to possession.

11. Not-for-profit corporations, and tenant associations authorized in writing by the commission of the department of the city of New York charged with enforcement of the housing maintenance code of such city to manage residential real property owned by such city.

Cite this article: - New York Consolidated Laws, Real Property Actions and Proceedings Law - RPA § 721. Person who may maintain proceeding - last updated January 01, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard