New York Consolidated Laws, Public Health Law - PBH § 924. Primary care service corps practitioner loan repayment program
Search New York Codes
1. Notwithstanding any contrary provision of this section, sections one hundred twelve and one hundred sixty-three of the state finance law , or any other contrary provision of law, the commissioner is authorized, within amounts available therefor, to make loan repayment awards to eligible primary care service corps practitioners who agree to practice full-time in an underserved area in New York state, in amounts to be determined by the commissioner, but not to exceed thirty-two thousand dollars per year for any year in which such practitioners provide full-time eligible obligated service, without competitive bid or request for proposal process.
2. Loan repayment awards made to a primary care service corps practitioner pursuant to subdivision one of this section shall not exceed the total qualifying outstanding debt of the practitioner from student loans to cover tuition and other related educational expenses, made by or guaranteed by the federal or state government, or made by a lending or educational institution approved under title IV of the federal higher education act. Loan repayment awards shall be used solely to repay such outstanding debt.
3. In the event that any commitment pursuant to the agreement referenced in subdivision one of this section is not fulfilled, the recipient shall be responsible for repayment in amounts which shall be calculated in accordance with the formula set forth in subdivision (b) of section two hundred fifty-four-o of title forty-two of the United States Code , as amended.
4. The commissioner is authorized to apply any funds available for purposes of subdivision one of this section for use as matching funds for any available federal grants for the purpose of assisting states in operating loan repayment programs.
5. The commissioner may postpone, change or waive the service obligation and repayments amounts set forth in subdivisions one and three of this section, respectively, in individual circumstances where there is compelling need or hardship.
6. In order to be eligible to receive a loan repayment award under this section, a primary care service corps practitioner must meet site and service eligibility criteria as determined by the commissioner.
7. The commissioner shall promulgate regulations necessary to effectuate the provisions and purposes of this article.
Read this complete New York Consolidated Laws, Public Health Law - PBH § 924. Primary care service corps practitioner loan repayment program on Westlaw
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.